2012-11-10

Day 134: CULTural CONditioning - part 2 - Ditching the con

in the previous post (part 1 - Behavior) I have discussed how i got into behaviourism and how i conditioned myself within and as my mind to keep to such rules. Yet sometimes i just got sick of it.

There are times when i realised that all these rules and unwritten(unspoken) laws are JUST to maintain control over the populus while a few can have their abusive ways. and these only condition us to be respectful and obidient towards those in powerful positions. Also I often wondered "why doesn't someone questions these?" and "if the teacher is teaching it FROM A BOOK, then why do we call them unwritten laws?they have been written down! in etiquette books and such!"

of course the answer to that is fairly simple: in the 14-18th century before printing or general education were inserted to the system (actually here just talking about the western european CULTure, because in egypt andd mesopotamia the same systems were in place already) the way writing worked was different from today. most of the people could not even read, nor write, only learnt how to speak by parents. the only ones who were taught to write and read were priests and nobles and their heirs (referred to as educated men) and quite funny that those educated youngsters were taught by teachers who taught them BY TELLING only, the only written texts were religious ones and literature later on. so these rules were only transcended by vocal means so they become unwritten laws.

The point that is never considered is that when we get to a situation that we experienced before and were conditioned to react in a certain way, we "remember" this by all those memories and recall them and react either by what we learned or the opposite.
when I get this roll-up of my memories(plenty of them) I always see the moment of the imprinting, and the moment of the consequence. and if I ONLY look at these i consider and make myself stuck in the situation and make myself believe that i can only choose two ways:to do as it's been told or do the exact opposite. within those pictures there seems no other "logical" way out of such experience. because it seems that ANYTHING ELSE than the conditioned reaction is AGAINST the conditioning. So within this i am participating in a polarity system of right/wrong, good/bad, positive/negative. moreover i consider and categorise the consequence as being gift/punishment, and of course all this while connecting and interconnecting these points and creating a big bunch of mess.

Why do i have so much memories where others conditioned my behaviour? repetition. all we know about teaching something to a being(animal or human alike) is that if i keep the same "if...then" loop then the being will incorporate it and creates a connection between and memorise it. the more you show the being, the more reinforcement it gets the more stable the connection. this is what Pavlov have been reshearching yet it was known way before him.

yet it is not about how we teach something...it's about the starting point of doing it. the starting point of culture and etiquette and laws is ONE point:CONTROL.
so the solution is the CHANGE our conditionings to meet a different starting point: EQUALITY.
this is Common Sense.

I forgive myself that i have accepted and allowed myself to condition myself according to what my parents repeteadly show me.
I forgive myself that i have accepted and allowed myself to copy my parent's behaviural and cultural conditionings.
I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to only consider two outcomes of any given situation:the one i have been conditioned myself, and another against it.
I forgive myself that i have accepted and allowed myself to create and maintian the polarity construct of conditioning.
I forgive myself that i have accepted and allowed myself to only consider a positive/negative outcome of any given event.
I forgive myself that i have accepted and allowed myself to connect the reaction that i have conditioned myself through my parents/education/culture to positive/good/right.
I forgive myself that i have accepted and allowed myself to connect a reaction that is not in my conditioning of myself through my parents/education/culture to negative/bad/wrong.
I forgive myself that i have accepted and allowed myself to justify my reactions with my conditioning throguh parents/education/culture.
I forgive myself that i have accepted and allowed myself to BLAME parents/education/culture for the consequences of my reactions.
I forgive myself that i have accepted and allowed myself to not take responsibility for my reactions within and as what i have conditioned myself.
I forgive myself that i have not accepted and allowed myself to see understand and realise that I have conditioned myself to react therefore i am the only one responsible for the consequences.

i continue with committment statements next time...

ShareThis